Monday, April 25, 2011

The Positive Aspects of Religion and Education

Although there are numerous religions that can be found throughout the world, most, if not all share a common theme or aspect which is charity, or treating others the way you wish to be treated. There is this almost unanimous agreement that treating others fairly and with respect is how you live a positive life, or make it to heaven, paradise, or whatever your particular religion calls the afterlife. This concept can be used to improve education greatly. In many middle schools and high schools, community service is part of the requirement to graduate. For some, it may be exactly that, just a requirement, but I am sure that there are a great number of students who enjoy it, and actually gained something positive and fulfilling from that experience. I know for myself personally, while it started out as a tedious requirement, I ended up learning a lot about myself and now when I get the chance, I like to do volunteer work on my own free will, I like to help others and feel as if I am making a contribution, and hopefully these experiences are helping to mold me into a better person. If there was a way to make charity work or community service part of the school curriculum instead of just something that needs to be done to graduate, I think it would really help better the students and make them want to make a change in their communities and other people's lives. There definitely is no negative outcome from helping others.
This a link to a study done on how community service helps benefits students.
http://sitemaker.umich.edu/356.black/benefits_of_participation_in_service

No comments:

Post a Comment